Thursday 7 April 2016

There's Nothing You Can Do About It

I took out the dusty, quite old, black and yellow slam book from my cupboard and flipped through the pages on which my friends, when we all were in the fifth and sixth grades, had filled in all kinds of stuff (nonsensical and sensical), thinking we'd never meet after growing one or two years older.
Today, I stand graduated. And what do I have with me? A handful of friends from amongst the hundreds I had just three years ago. And along with that, the so-called title of 'most amazing friend'. Ironical, right? The *most amazing friend* is now connected with just a few friends here and there. And if this is my condition today, it's damn freaky to imagine what my condition would be in the near future. I say near future because that is the speed at which things are changing.
The funniest part is, only a minor part of the handful of friends left with me today are actually humans. As for the rest, I have animals, plants, the sky, my books, my blog and stuff like these. And my only wish is that this minor part doesn't go extinct as the dodo and brachiosaurs.

Life's funny, no? It tells you when you enter school that "This miraculous mesmerising mind-blowing journey is gonna end in ten to twelve years, and as you depart, you're gonna take away tons of memories and so many friends." And turns out that this friend called *life* is an irritating feelingless liar. Memories? Okay. But friends? Oh please. I agree, I am taking away friends, but a ton of them? Utter nonsense.
And this is an endless thing. Maybe it'll end for you or me, but it's gonna go on and on; on and on- for generations as a whole. I don't even remember the last time I actually spent quality time with my best friend from the first grade. Today, she's only a friend. Perhaps the only thing that keeps me from despairing over this painful situation is the fact that I am in close touch with atleast two of my friends I befriended in Kindergarten (Phew!)

But what can I do about this? It was always obvious that this would happen one day, and perhaps my only mistake was, and is,
that I realised this way too late to prepare myself for it. And now, I can do nothing about it. And there's nothing you can, too.

4 comments: