Wednesday 11 November 2015

It's Festive Time!!

I wake up to a bright new morning, rather early indeed, to the sounds of the door opening and closing. People are shouting inside the house, wishing each other joy, and I'm just sitting there, cuddled inside my blanket, mourning over the irritating commotion outside my room. And then I realise- 'It's festive time!!!'
My brother comes and kisses me, pulling me out of bed. My mother shouts out to me-"Harini, wake up!!" And as for my mind, it keeps saying- "Wake up, but don't wake up."

All this laziness is a usual thing. But the festive mood is what does the trick. Lazily getting out of the bed, I realise how dumb I was to have wasted those fifteen minutes in my bed. There are relatives all around the house! So what does that mean? Yo baby, it's fun time!!
I rush into my bathroom, get ready, and put on my new dress. All ladies are busy dressing up. My sisters are busy admiring their mehndis, and all the mothers are feasting their eyes on the beautiful jewellery everyone's wearing. All the men are busy watching the special movies on TV, and then everyone sees me. "So the kumbhkaran is finally awake!!"- they shout out with joy, for the laziest person in the family has awoken.
Then we get out of the house. We start roaming around the streets, laughing and shouting like psychos. Our mouths relish the taste of spicy Indian chaats, and the mens' pockets are emptied by the demands of the women. There's joy everywhere, even the least visited places are filled. Roads are jammed, loudspeakers fill the air. Streets are colourful, lights are bright. But listen, this is not all I have to cite!!
Indian bazaars are flooded, it's profit-time for the merchants. Every corner of the street has become home to jewellery, spices, games and stalls. Schools are on a holiday, offices too. People hold on to the hands of their children tight, it's not difficult to lose their beloved's sight!!
Hours in the streets pass by, it's evening now. We think, 'Let's go home now.' So yea, getting into the car, we prepare ourselves for the beautiful lights we'd observe in a little while. Great expectations rush through the minds of us children- There's gonna be an amazing feast after going home!!
Cuz' moments like these don't come often, you know??

2 comments: